Claiming garnishment exemptions in Minnesota

Without question, dealing with garnishment is the most frustrating aspect of debt collection for consumers. Whether it's a bank or wage garnishment, having a debt collector seize your hard-earned money is a significant disruption to your life and can cause a great deal of stress. But there are a number of garnishment exemptions here in Minnesota, which protect your money from being garnished. In Minnesota, virtually all forms of need-based government aid are exempt from garnishment. Some of the most common forms of need based aid are social security, supplemental security income (SSI), energy assistance, and medical assistance (MA). Other types of need based aid that are exempt include: Minnesota family investment program (MFIP), emergency assistance and emergency general assistance (EA & EGA), work first program, general assistance medical care (GAMC), and Minnesota supplemental assistance (MSA). This isn't a complete list and virtually any form of government aid that you receive based on your income will probably qualify as garnishment exemptions under Minnesota law. Other common garnishment exemptions include any money you receive for child support, unemployment benefits, workers' compensation, and veterans' benefits. Some of the less common exemption sources of funds include retirement pensions (up to a certain dollar amount), disability, and insurance proceeds for damages to exempt property (usually your home or vehicle). And while it's not technically an exemption, under current Minnesota law a debt collector can't keep money from a joint account that doesn't belong to the judgment debtor.

Claiming garnishment exemptions for wage garnishment

If you're facing a wage garnishment, it's important to know that a debt collector can only take 25% of your after-tax wages. This exemption also applies if the debt collector garnishes your bank account after you deposited your pay check. And if you make only the federal minimum wage (or less) your wages are usually completely exempt from garnishment. Further, if you receive any form of need-based aid, such as those described above, your wages are totally exempt from garnishment. Minnesota law provides for this exemption if you currently receive need-based aid, or if you received any need-based aid in the last 6 months. This is an important provision for Minnesotans receiving energy assistance. Most recipients of energy assistance receive it from October through March, which make the recipient's wages exempt for the entire year if she re-enrolls in the program the following season.

To claim an exemption, it's important first to understand the garnishment process. For a wage garnishment, the debt collector must provide you with a form notifying you of their intent to garnish and an exemption form 10 days before starting the wage garnishment. To claim exemptions from a wage garnishment, all you have to do is write the appropriate garnishment exemptions on the form and mail it back to the debt collector. It's critical to do this immediately, or at least within 10 days of receiving the form. You should also provide proof of your exemption, such as your benefit notice, with the exemption form.

Claiming garnishment exemptions for bank garnishment

For a bank garnishment, you won't get notice of the garnishment until 5 days after the bank freezes your money. Fill out the garnishment exemption form that the bank and debt collector mail to you, noting the appropriate exemption. You also need to provide proof that the funds that were seized by the bank arose from an exempt source. This last point is the cause of considerable confusion for consumers. It's not enough to show the debt collector that you receive exempt money, you also have to prove that the funds that were actually seized contained this exempt money. Debt collectors will refer to this as "tracing". Sending the debt collector a copy of your bank statements that show the deposit of exempt funds, along with your benefit statements will usually accomplish the task.

If you merely mail the completed exemption form to the debt collector, and fail to provide the required tracing, the debt collector will probably object to your exemption and refuse to return your money. If this happens, you should schedule a court hearing in front of a judge to determine whether your funds are exempt. Court administration will help you set up the hearing and provide notice of the hearing to the debt collector. On the day of your hearing, be sure to bring proof of your exemption AND bank statements proving the funds seized were from an exempt source. Failure to do so could delay the court's decision or could lead to the court denying your exemption.

Finally, it's important to understand that claiming an exemption when you're not entitled to one could lead to the court ordering you to pay a penalty to the debt collector. Make sure any exemptions you claim are legitimate.